What Is Skin Cancer and Why is UV Protection So Important?
Skin cancer is the out-of-control growth of abnormal cells in the epidermis, the outermost skin layer, caused by unrepaired DNA damage that triggers mutations. These mutations lead the skin cells to multiply rapidly and form malignant tumors. The main types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma (BCC), squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), melanoma and Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC).
The two main causes of skin cancer are the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and the use of UV tanning machines. The good news is that if skin cancer is caught early, your dermatologist can treat it with little or no scarring and high odds of eliminating it entirely. Often, the doctor may even detect the growth at a precancerous stage, before it has become a full-blown skin cancer or penetrated below the surface of the skin. https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/#basal
Skin cancer Facts & Statistics acordign to the SKin Cancer Foundation:
- Skin Cancer is the most common cancer in the United States and worldwide.
- 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70.
- More than 2 people die of skin cancer in the U.S. every hour.
- Having 5 or more sunburns doubles your risk for melanoma.
- When detected early, the 5-year survival rate for melanoma is 99 percent.
The Melanoma International Foundation states that:
- 90% or more of melanoma is caused by ultraviolet radiation either from the sun or tanning salons.
- Melanoma is the most common cancer in women ages 25-29 and second only to breast cancer in women ages 30-34.
- Over 80% of a person’s lifetime exposure to the sun occurs by age of 18.
- Skin cancer is one of the most common and fastest growing forms of cancer in the USA. In fact, one in every 5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime (Skin Cancer Foundation).
Why wear BloqUV Clothing?
- Our clothing undergoes the most stringent UV Testing.
- All BloqUV fabrics are tested in accordance with the American Association of Textile Chemist and Colorist (AATCC).
- Fabrics undergo 40 home launderings and 100 hours of simulated light. BloqUV provides a minimum UPF 50 = blocking 98% of sun's rays.
- BloqUV customers have piece of mind that all BloqUV clothing provides. UV protection and blocks 98% of sun's rays (UVA and UVB).
- BloqUV - sun protective clothing that is fashionable and functional.